December 19, 2004

Bullah! to me, I am not known

Bulla, what do I know who I am?
I'm not a Hindu,
I'm not a Turkish/dweller of Peshawar,
I'm not a Muslim.
I haven't killed my brother,I didn't drink the blood of an infant,
I never beheaded an animal.
I never saw a God who told meTo do all these things in his name.
Bulla, what do I know who I am?

I have always been a sucker for good music. All genres, all languages(does music really need/have a language?) IT doesn’t happen often in Indian popular non-film music, but whenever you hear a voice that stirs you, you simply go ga-ga.

Rabbi Shergill has one such voice. And I must say "WHAT A VOICE".close ur eyes and listen to the songs and u are just in a completely different world. A world that is tranquil, a world that is peaceful and at the same time a world that is just simply breathtaking.

The songs are in Punjabi, but that shouldn’t deter those who don’t follow the language.Have been listenin to this one particular song for a while now and with each day the song is just more and more amazing. The video for the song sure adds more to the complete feel of the song.The translation of the song that runs throghout the song and the striking visuals. Any young cinematographers and students who want to make a music video..WATCH THIS SONG. WATCH IT OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN...

Bullah! to me, I am not known
Not in the holy Vedas, am I Nor in opium, neither in wine

Not in the drunkard`s craze -Niether awake, nor in a sleeping daze
Bullah! to me, I am not known
In happiness nor in sorrow, am I Neither clean, nor a filthy mire

Not from water, nor from earthNeither fire, nor from air, is my birth
Bullah! to me, I am not known
Not an Arab, nor LahoriNeither Hindi, nor NagauriHindu, Turk (Muslim), nor PeshawariNor do I live in Nadaun
Bullah! to me, I am not known
Secrets of religion, I have not knownFrom Adam and Eve, I am not bornI am not the name I assumeNot in stillness, nor on the move
Bullah! to me, I am not known
I am the first, I am the lastNone other, have I ever knownI am the wisest of them allBullah! do I stand alone?
Bullah! to me, I am not known

No comments: